Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The Ground Rules

When my parents started to probe me about what kind of a suitor they should begin looking for when I turned 15, I knew I had to run away or learn to make excuses to dodge the bullets.  I was only 15!  But at last, my parents also wised up and found a way to corner me.

One fine afternoon, I come home from college.  My mom made my fav Indian meal with all the trimmings.  I am the eldest of 5.  My favorite dishes are normally not made because the siblings get their way with almost everything and because I let them get away with it.  Anywho, I'm almost done eating my rice when the whole family suddenly pops into the kitchen.  They strategically placed themselves in areas to block off my escape attempts, if I dared to make any.  Then comes in my father.  *Cue the dreadful music*  Comes over and asks me mid-bite what kind of husband I preferred.  I choked on my rice.  They finally got me.

Before answering my dad, I had my mom come sit next to me for moral support.  I told them that before they looked for anyone, I wanted to set ground rules so that everyone is clear about my arranged marriage business.  We came to an agreement that my parents can find "potential rejects," as I used to call them, but in the end, it would be my call on who I liked and wanted to have to annoy me til the end of time.  Big downer on this agreement was that my parents want a guy from my Caste.  This is where the fun starts.

The caste system is a social hierarchy that is used in India today.  I am a Patel.  There are seven different kinds of Patels, hence 7 Castes because we fall in every category.  Most families changed their last names from Patel to something else because of the amount of prejudice they faced when first immigrating to the U.S.  So, while it is possible I could have a different last name, most likely though, I will be a Patel forever.  Coincidentally, I belong to the tiniest caste there is of Patels.  The name of my caste is "Matiya Patidar."  I shorten the name and just call everyone from my clan a "Mut."  Not to be confused with the breed of dog... just saying...  Anyways, the caste is so small, you have to make triple sure you're not related to the person you're being introduced to.  *Crickets chirping in the background * 

Is this starting to sound like an adventure yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment