Thursday, September 8, 2011

The Muts Reconvene

The Matiyas are a dedicated group of people always on the lookout to get everyone married.  A few years back, the Social committees of the clan decided to hold a Convention every 2 years where people can come together and spend the weekend looking for a potential wife/husband.  My parents LOVED this idea.  Afterall, they have 5 kids to marry off and I'm first.  Yay for me!


In 2009, the Muts Reconvened for the Convention in Dallas.  Our family went.  The whole weekend I was stared at by the moms, and dads, and the guys.  But not a single guy came up to say hi or introduce themselves.  This is one of the big reasons why I dont like the guy from my caste.  They have their mom and dads do all the work for them.  One guy danced with me on the dance floor- appropriately.  It was nice.  And I dont consider dry humping a form of dancing.  But I never found him again.  I wonder where he went?  I didnt care though, I was enjoying being Single.  It was my second year into Singledom and I absolutely did not miss having a relationship at all.


The event started on Thursday, and by Saturday morning, my mom and fav uncle were being harrassed by one family to have me meet the guy alone for a convo.  Problem: my parents wanted to reject the proposal.  So there's no way I'd say yes.  It's a guy my parents already don't approve of.  But, the granny from the family kept following my mom everywhere asking for me.  I felt bad and agreed to meet the guy to get the family off my family. 


Everyone, meet Oompa Loompa.  In my language, I called him the "Jaaro, kaaro, buttko" to my mom.  Translation: big, dark, short guy.  I'm not into "Jaaro Kaaro Buttko."  My best friends and their moms loved the nickname I gave this guy.  It suited him perfectly!  But for my friends who dont speak Gujarati, he's Oompa Loompa.  This guy, was a total winner.  I'm 5'2" and this guy was shorter than me!  Next, he was new from India.  No problem for me, but a big disappointment for my parents.  They knew right away he probably was a loafer, and they were right.  No college degree, broken english with a heavy mix of an Indian and English accent.  I dont require a college education but that's something my dad wants.  He knows I take care of everyone, and he wants a guy that'll take care of me without worries.  My dad can be sweet sometimes.  Well, I asked the guy what he did for a living, and he said "accounting."  I asked him to clarify bc I was told he didnt go to college.  He said he handled his brother in law's money.  Oh.  He asked me what I did and when I said I was a nurse, he FINALLY made direct eye contact with me, and I swear I saw dollar bills in his eyes.  He then asked me how much money I made.  At the time, I hadn't gotten my job offer yet, so I technically worked nowhere and made nothing.  I told him that but he wanted a rough estimate of how much I would make when hired.  It hadn't been 10 mins and I just walked away.


The guy didnt know this but my family members were standing around the corner from where we were standing and talking.  He had pissed off everyone.  That night we had a mixer and the guy found me on the dance floor, and positioned himself at a bar table right across from where I was.  He stood there watching me intently and drinking what appeared to be a scotch.  My brothers found him creeping at me and had security throw him out.  haha.  I love my brothers. 


Sunday morning comes around and I see his brother in law following me all over the breakfast area and finally catches me while I was trying to walk out.  He asked me what I thought of the guy.  This is a violation for him to be asking me directly.  He was supposed to ask my parents.  Luckily before I answered him, my mom found me.  She told him as politely as she could that her daughter didn't wanna be the one wearing the pants in the family after getting married.


My mom's spitfire.  I love it!  Til this day my family and I laugh about that guy.  We're kinda mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment